With the occasion of UAE’s trademark exhibition taking place in Dubai, February 18-22, the Gulfood Innovation Awards were held.
Half of the 10 awards were handed to European winners from the UK, Germany, Austria, Finland and Spain, respectively. The USA’s Atlantic Foods Co. Ltd. won the Best Baked or Confectionary category for its Temole Pomegranate Chips product.
Recognizing the best new-to-industry technologies and product-specific innovations across the event’s 5,000+ local, regional and international exhibitors, the Gulfood Innovation Awards featured 10 awards judged by a panel of industry leading chefs, retailers and food sector professionals.
The UAE’s Global Food Industries claimed victory for Best Halal Food Innovation and Best Meat & Poultry Innovation, while Hunter Foods Ltd. FZCO took home the award for Best Organic Innovation.
Mark Napier, Gulfood show director, said: “The UAE companies’ wins reflect the maturing food production landscape both domestically and across the wider region. It’s no secret that Arab Gulf states are working extremely hard to reduce their over-reliance on food imports and these wins show that when the right ingredients are in place, homegrown companies can more than compete on the international arena.”
The full list of Gulfood Innovation Awards winners:
- Best Baked or Confectionary: Temole Pomegranate Chips by Atlantic Foods Co. Ltd. (USA)
- Best Condiment or Sauce: Tangy Orange Marmalade infused with Indian Saffron by Mahbit Saffron (UK)
- Best Dairy Innovation: Cocoa Aloha by Maresi Austria (Austria)
- Best Frozen or Chilled Food: Dairy-free / vegan ice-cream made with olive oil by La Ibense Bornay (Spain)
- Best Halal Food: Chicken Quinoa and Kale Burger by Global Foods Industries (UAE)
- Best Health & Wellness Product: Hikian Raw Honey by Hikian Raw Honey (Finland)
- Best Hot Beverage: Quick Tea by The Fresh Food Company (Germany)
- Best Meat or Poultry Innovation: Super Chicken Quinoa & Kale Nuggets by Global Foods Industries (UAE)
- Best Organic Product: Hunter Collection – Lizi’s Organic Granola by Hunter Foods Ltd. FZCO (UAE)
- Best Soft Beverage: Sparkling Coconut Water by Thai Coconut Public Company (Thailand)
The winning products from the Gulfood Innovation Awards are being showcased in the Gulfood Discover Zone in Zabeel Hall 4 throughout this week’s show.
The Middle East and Africa, the Strongest Growth
The Middle East and Africa (MEA) will deliver the strongest regional growth for the international food and beverage industry, with Asia Pacific also holding ‘enticing’ prospects, according to the Gulfood Global Industry Outlook Report.
The in-depth report follows a Euromonitor International market study based on official published sources and trade surveys with local and global manufacturers, distributors, trade associations and government entities. The report cites high birth rates, rapidly expanding cities and growing employment as key factors behind the high potential in MEA and Asia Pacific, where combined consumer spend in the food beverage sector is forecast to rise to 60% of global expenditure by 2030, up from 53% today.
The independent report was commissioned by Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC) for the 23rd edition of Gulfood 2018.
As the fastest-growing consumer drivers in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America, the report highlights urban millennials’ greater buying power and preferences for convenience products. “Conversely, this group is equally conscious of their health, nutrition and diets so producers have to innovative to meet this balancing demand,” said Trixie LohMirmand, Senior Vice President, Exhibitions & Events, DWTC.