Givaudan Launches PrimeLock+ to Deliver Flavor and Stability while Reducing Fat in Plant-based Products
Givaudan has launched PrimeLock+, a patent-pending, natural, vegan-friendly integrated solution that mimics animal fat cells, enabling food companies to take plant-based product development and consumer satisfaction to a new level.
Consumers have come to love the comforting and warm sensation of biting into a burger; they savor and anticipate that first juicy, beefy bite. Now, with Givaudan’s PrimeLock+, food manufacturers can improve the consumer experience of their plant-based products.
The interaction between flavor, taste and texture is a key differentiator for plant-based products, though maintaining juiciness can be challenging as a high proportion of oils are often released during cooking causing a drier mouthfeel. PrimeLock+ encapsulates, protects and locks in both flavor and fat in plant-based meat substitutes, for example.
Sylvain Jouet, Global Product Manager for meat substitutes of Givaudan said: “Givaudan is committed to helping its customers create delicious plant-based products that consumers enjoy. To do this, we have built wide-ranging expertise and a growing suite of integrated solutions and technologies in the alternative protein space. In 2019 we asked ourselves how we could improve the eating experience of plant based burgers; today, after extensive research and development, we are excited to launch PrimeLock+TM, a unique solution that delivers multiple benefits:
- PrimeLock+TM protects the flavour and fat during cooking, releasing it gradually during cooking and consumption
- Visual appeal is improved with a marbled, fat-like appearance
- Stability during shelf life is improved as PrimeLock+TM separates flavours from proteins
- PrimeLock+TM allows a reduction of up to 75% of the fat and 30% of the calories while improving the eating experience
- PrimeLock+TM is a natural, vegan-friendly solution