The European bakery market, with a size of approximately 40 million ton products, EUR210bn turnover and a forecasted growth of 3.3 % till 2023 will remain one of the most vital bakery markets in the world for the coming years.
Apart from convenience, European consumers are looking for instant and nutritious food products to help them reducing their calorie and sugar intake, without lessening of taste or pleasure, according to a research published by integratedbakery.com,
The most consumed bakery products include biscuits and breads while the demand for other bakery items such as cakes, pastries and cookies are also increasing. Breads and rolls have dominated the baked goods segment, while pizzas have the highest potential growth due to higher demand for frozen as well as chilled pizzas.
Germany is the market leader in the European baked products markets with a growth of 3.0% per year, followed by UK with a growth of 2.9% per year.
Trends and developments in bakery products:
- Changing consumer lifestyles for a healthy living drives the growth of bakery products such as cakes, biscuits, bread, pastries and morning goods;
- Developments and innovation are geared towards the addition of healthy and specialty ingredients in bakery products. European consumers prefer natural and allergy-free additives in their staple food;
- The key trends include gluten-free, wholegrain, ancient grain and additive free bakery products;
- Elderly population prefers to consume low calorie, low sodium and high-fiber breakfast cereals;
- Increasing tourism drives the growing demand for instant, ready to eat, globally known, low cost and easy to store products such as doughnuts and muffins. As a result the number of low hurdle outlets, such as small kiosks and road side shops, are growing.