Limagrain Ingredients will present a new range of toasted pulses to support the bakery industry, cereal bars or snack bars in their quest for innovation, at FiE in Paris, December 3-5.
The business unit of the Limagrain group dedicated to ingredients, which has changed its name from Limagrain Céréales Ingrédients into Limagrain Ingredients in May, acknowledged that pulses have become the new stars of our diets, being appreciated for their nutritional benefits and especially their high protein content.
Pulses are widely used to innovate and provide vegetable proteins for products that respond to the growing vegan trend. It can be noted that the market projection of plant proteins is estimated to record an increase from USD7.6bn in 2015 to USD20.5bn in 2022 (Source: Statista, 2017).
The new range of toasted pulses comprises:
– Toasted red lentil
– Toasted broken chickpea
This range makes it easy to bring new texture, taste and nutritional benefits to products. The French ingredient specialist explains why:
- Thanks to a unique process, the products are delicately toasted to provide a unique taste without bitterness, which is often present in pulses;
- Toasting helps to maintain all the crispness of the pulses in all types of finished products such as breads, biscuits, pastries, snacks and cereal bars;
- Toasted red lentil and toasted broken chickpea can be used especially as inclusion for an innovative and gourmet visualization of finished products;
- The toasted pulses are naturally rich in protein and fiber as well as being low in saturated fat, sugar, and salt. They can be a key ingredient in improving the nutritional value in the end products;
- These ingredients can be used in vegan products and are free-from major allergens such as gluten, egg, milk.
PRESCO is a range of puffed cereals & puffed grains for all food applications. It is backed by a patented process called PRESCO (PRESsure COoking) that uses pressure and steam; the entire grains are blown in less than 30 seconds, preserving the taste and nutritional qualities of the grains, the company exlains. They are suitable for a wide range of applications, ranging from bakery to biscuits, salads, ready meals, and dairy products.
Limagrain Ingredients has also developed a new micropellet to reach the “high in protein” claim for popped chips and puffed cakes, called MICRO 660 High In Protein. R&D development formulated this micropellet with faba bean flour for two main reasons:
- To diversify the variety of high-protein snacks available to consumers;
- Faba bean is the pulse with the highest content in protein, allowing the final product to reach the “high in protein” claim. According to Dr. Pascal Tabouillot, R&D extrusion expert at Limagrain Ingredients, “Reaching a high in protein claim is tricky in savory snacks; the amount of fat uptake makes it really difficult. That’s why we worked on a formulation for a new micropellet: when producing popped chips and puffed cakes, there is no added fat. Thus, our Micro 660 HIP is the perfect combination for a healthy snack treat!”
In the new snack pellet – WAVY BEAN, Limagrain Ingredients incorporated protein content, without compromising the taste of the savory snack. This faba bean-based snack pellet has a square shape, slightly wavy to bring a crunchy texture. Limagrain Ingredients guarantees premium quality of its pellets, with a regular expansion. Moreover, the pulses recipes are gluten-free and have a lower salt content, to meet the rising better-for-you trend of the snacks industry. “Using pulses in our pellets recipes provides better control of the product expansion while increasing crispness. Our products have a pleasant melt-in-mouth texture, and their protein content can be claimed on-pack,” according to Dr. Pascal Tabouillot.