There are dozens of oven types on the market, and each is designed to work in a certain way, with a number of adjustable variables that can produce certain repeatable results. Ovens are not the same, and the fact that they can reach certain temperatures is not the sole criteria when choosing a commercial oven.
It is readily apparent that the radiation contribution to heat transfer in an oven with direct flames cannot be easily matched by simply setting an indirect oven to the same temperature.
As the baking process directly impacts on the characteristics of the end-product, working with the right technology remains a major priority for all bakers.
In an effort to answer industrial requirements, MECATHERM has developed the M-TA oven, the latest evolution of oven technology in terms of baking accuracy and energy efficiency.
According to the company, the MT-A oven is able to very precisely meet the exact quality criteria required for the product for different reasons:
- In order to bring maximum flexibility, the oven has a modular design, composed of compact modules of 25m² maximum. Each module represents independent heating zones.
- For each independent module:
- No less than 6 combinations of heat transmission modes are available: the baker can select between top convection, top radiant heat or a combination of both. At the bottom, he can select between radiant heat or convection thanks to a patented “mobile hearth” system.
- The baker can also precisely adjust the heating intensity by selecting a temperature and airflow rates.
- Two ways of injecting steam are offered: very close to the product in order to condense the steam on its surface or in the air circuit to deal with the humidity rate inside the baking chamber.
The baker can thus develop the most suitable baking profile for the different baking stages of the product to achieve its desired final characteristics.
The M-TA oven has been designed to ensure the highest baking energy efficiency for each product. It allows a performant insulation of the oven housing and it relies on a heating principle combined with the use of convection. The oven reacts quickly to load the variation of energy transmitted to the product, with an extreme responsiveness and reduced energy loss during changeovers.
Convection is a very efficient mode of energy transfer that ensures shorter baking times for 2 main reasons:
- The hot air circulates throughout the baking chamber and exchanges its energy with all surfaces of the product and its support in contact with the hot air. (In the case of radiant heat, energy is transmitted by contact of an electromagnetic wave on the surface of the product and its support). Thus, the lateral or “hidden” zones absorb less energy.
- Convection also allows to work at much lower air temperature than radiant heat. The temperature of the exhausts is lower so the energy loss is reduced.
The M-TA oven is equipped with a new function of assistance to chimney opening control. This feature allows to control the balance of in and out air flows to avoid cold air from entering the oven and maintain the highest energy efficiency all along the production.
You can read the rest of this article in the Summer Issue of World Bakers Digital magazine, which you can access by clicking here.