PepsiCo has announced the 10 emerging nutrition food and beverage entrepreneurs that will join its incubator program, Nutrition Greenhouse in 2018.
Designed to support nutrition food and beverage entrepreneurs, the program returned for its second year in June 2018. Nutrition Greenhouse offers each of the 10 participating companies a EUR20,000 grant, and access to PepsiCo mentors and experts to take their business to the next level.
The 10 startups, one of whom will receive an additional EUR100,000 at the end of the program, are:
- Agrasys (Barcelona, Spain) – The company behind Tritordeum – a Mediterranean cereal made from a combination of durum wheat and a wild barley, with nutritional and agronomic benefits that is suitable for a wide range of cereal-based foods and beverages.
- A1C Foods (Ramat Gan, Israel) – Specializing in low-carbohydrate food products, including bread.
- The Sprouted Grain Company (Ramat Gan, Israel) – Nutritionally superior, easy-to-digest whole grains, legumes, flours, nuts and seeds, with long shelf life.
- Nibble Protein (London, UK) – High protein, gluten- and dairy-free bites made with less sugar, suitable for vegan and diabetic diets. https://www.nibbleprotein.com/
- Revolicious (London, UK) – Ready-to-eat dairy and gluten-free smoothie bowls.
- Rokit Pods (SCEV) (Oxfordshire, UK) – Organic, vegan-friendly drinks capsules.
- Gryö (Paris, France) – Organic snacks made with alternative proteins – including algae and plant-based proteins. http://gryo-bars.com/
- Le Petit Béret (Béziers, France) – Non-alcoholic wine produced without fermentation.
- Welldrinks (Sofia, Bulgaria) – qwell is a new brand of functional beverages.
- Yofix (Ashdod, Israel) – Clean-label vegan and soy-free fermented dairy alternatives.
The company that demonstrates the most scalable and sustainable market approach by the end of the program will be awarded a EUR100,000 prize to continue its expansion.
Senior director of innovation, PepsiCo Europe & Sub-Saharan Africa, and leader of the program, David Schwartz, commented: “Last year’s class of finalists really proved their potential, so we can’t wait to see how we can help deliver a step change for the industry with our 2018 class. The Nutrition Greenhouse incubator is an important initiative for PepsiCo, as we continue to build on our 20-plus year legacy of anticipating and adapting to changes in the way consumers view nutrition and health and wellness. Together with the entire Greenhouse team, we’re confident we can drive another successful year of sustainable growth for 10 new breakthrough brands, harnessing the power of convenient, nutritious products in the process.”
One of the winners, Agrasys, is a company focused on promoting Tritordeum, a Mediterranean cereal – the son of durum wheat (Triticum durum) and a wild barley (Hordeum chilense) – with real benefits for the environment, farmers and consumers.
“Being among the 10 finalists – out of 174 candidates – means great recognition for us within the food and beverage industry, regarding nutrition, wellness and health aspects”, says Verónica Guerra, Agrasys’ head of marketing and communication. “Tritordeum’s potential is huge but we need to accelerate its growth. We will certainly take full advantage of this opportunity that PepsiCo gives us to continue the expansion of our cereal in Europe”, explains Guerra.