Ahead of the 22nd edition of the Shangai exhibition, we are looking into booth innovations, industry views regarding Bakery China and the general environment of conducting baking business here.
As preparations for the world’s biggest bakery trade show draw to a close, we can provide a sneak preview of highlights at selected stands this year, as well as exhibitor insights into the China’s bakery business. The questions we sought to answer are:
- What are you exhibiting this year at the fair?
- What is an overview of your current activities in China and what are your plans for the region?
Here is what some of the big industry players worldwide and on the show floor had to say.
Uwe S. Schroeder, general manager
- There is a long relationship between WALTER and many customers in Asia. Wafer baking lines for sugar wafers have been delivered to Asia for decades now. Furthermore, we developed a machine just for the Asian market to answer the high demand in Monaka wafers. Our MARS machines produce the popular Monaka wafers fully automatically and in high capacities. All wafer baking machines are designed, built and tested in Germany. For sales activities, WALTER works together with local agencies. In China there is a partnership between WALTER and the sales agency CITS for more than 25 years now. At the exhibitions such as Bakery China, qualified local staff will be on site.
- Exhibitions like Bakery China and Tianjin Ice Cream Fair are a great opportunity for us to meet potential customers and explain our wide machine program. WALTER is continuously working to improve its market position and the growing Chinese market offers great market opportunities.
AMF Bakery Systems, Markel Food Group
Diana Boxey, global marketing manager
- Following the integration of AMF Tromp and AMF Den Boer, formerly Tromp Group, into AMF Bakery Systems, we will present the full range of complete system solutions for producing soft bread and buns, artisan bread and rolls, pizza and flatbreads, cakes and pies, pastries and croissants. At AMF, we’re just as committed to the baker adopting automation for the first time as we are to the leading multi-national bakery. We demonstrate this commitment with the proven performance of our APEX product line, our line of semi- and fully-automated entry-level production solutions for bakers worldwide.
- Offering local support, globally, AMF Bakery Systems has established teams of bakery and engineering experts throughout Asia with the industry’s largest manufacturing facility in the region located in Tianjin, China, and an additional sales and customer service facility located in Singapore. With an Innovation Center located in The Netherlands, AMF’s dough process experts are equipped to test new product recipes with our mixing, dividing, sheeting, laminating, and depositing technologies available in a lab environment to ensure flawless execution of tomorrow’s most consumed baked goods.
Yvonne Yao, head of marketing, Bühler CF China
- We are going to present the new Bühler Consumer Foods (CF) portfolio of equipment during Bakery China 2019, which is also the first show for new Bühler CF in China since its establishment officially in January 2019. We are presenting machines including the Bühler Franz Haas MTA-Husky molded cone and molded cup baking oven, Bühler Meincke IFC and DGF tunnel oven modules for biscuit and cracker production, the Bühler SnackFix cereal bar production line for small scale production, the multi-functional chocolate depositor Bühler Mshot, as well as our Ball Mill 500 milling machine. In addition, we will bring a 1:20 scale model of a complete bakery handling system to the booth.
The merge of all specialties [with Haas knowhow] enable us to offer extended competence in turnkey solutions from grain to the final finishing of the products with enrobing before handling over to packaging.
RONDO Burgdorf AG
Jörg Sonnabend, manager marketing communications
- We are presenting the croissant system “Cromaster”, a compact solution that combines a uniquely high production capacity with outstanding flexibility; you can find RONDO at booth W4C81 and RONDO Dealers at booth W4C81 (company UNITECH) and W4B58 (company HUGE).
- RONDO not only offers the best dough processing solutions manufactured in our factory in Switzerland, but also guarantees local service and bakery service in China. Our range of products covers the requirements for the artisan baker though to the industrial solution. We offer a unique combination of knowledge and experience in sheeting and shaping dough, which we call “Dough-how & more”.
Yuming Wang, GEA head of sales support in China
- We are going to exhibit the technology and solution for bakery from GEA Imaforni & Comas. Our GEA Imaforni oven will be highlighted for promotion. Various bakery samples/real products from GEA Imaforni/Comas customers worldwide will be shown. Experienced process technician/specialist from Italy will be on. Single equipment, production line, and turnkey lines will be on display via 3D touchscreens.
- Our focus is on the top 10 strategic customers for long term cooperation with production lines. It is never late to promote in a market like China, as a 10 years life cycle is standard for most of the local bakery production lines, and stable/repeatable/food-safe/flexible/high capacity/Opex will be expected from bakery customers in China.
Lisa Xu, sales manager – food processing
- Since the market requirement is no longer a single piece of equipment, but more concerned with a diversified and flexible integrated system line, we are going to exhibit the overall solution to target the market needs. We want to be a strategic partner to customers focusing on growing the business through a total solution.
- China’s geographical scope is wide, and the products demanded by different regions vary greatly. Therefore, the regional demand for bakery customers is particularly prominent. Middleby Bakery offers best-in-class solutions, from mixing flour to the distribution of finished goods. For each step of the production process, our team of experts works seamlessly to bring cutting-edge technology to Chinese bakeries.
Almond Board of California
Patrick Xiao, China regional director
- California almonds help chefs create nuanced and layered flavor profiles, and help add health values like fiber, protein and Vitamin E to bakery products. For this year’s exhibition, we invite the famous chef, Brian Tan, to display eight different kinds of innovative almonds baked goods and share more about almonds applications in bakery. Our booth is E5A18.
- California almonds are welcomed by Chinese consumers and gaining mo
- re and more prevalence in the bakery category. Last year, bakery accounts for 25% of all new almonds laun
ches in China and one in three new bakery goods with nuts feature almonds. China is the third largest export destination of California almonds. ABC will continuously invest in China market and collaborate with Chinese industry partners to further promote California almonds in China together.
Nathalie Genebes, brand & communication group manager, Délifrance Global
- We will showcase the symbolic items from all our product ranges (pastry, viennoiserie, bread, savory); we also have a whole range of exciting new products which we will show for the first time at the Bakery China.
- We are supplying leading retailers, stared hotels & restaurants and many other customers with high quality and delicious bread and Pastry products, both locally produced and imported.
The bakery & pastry market in China is growing significantly and we will continue to play a leading role to service our customers with innovative and exciting world class products.
Oliver Frey, CEO
- At Bakery China, we at WACHTEL will exhibit the following: Electric in-store deck oven PICCOLO, Electric in-store convection oven THERMICO, Technologies: WACHTEL REMOTE baking software
- With a separate production site in Taiwan, we have a very strong presence in China and Asia. We have our own service team and offices in Shanghai and Taipei. Our brand has grown to a strong local player in the baking business and we will continue to serve current and future customers in the region.
Giuseppe Allais, global food industry manager
- Ammeraal Beltech are back at Bakery China to promote our ultimate hygienic homogenous positive-drive belt, Soliflex, as the cutting-edge solution for food safety, in combination with a demonstration conveyor. And with food safety always our prime concern, we are introducing at the show a new product solution: the UltraClean sprocket for food-grade uni ® modular belts. This is an innovation in belting that brings a massive benefit in optimizing the belt cleaning process.
- As a result of the recent merger between Ammeraal Beltech and Megadyne, under the new AMMEGA group name, we are now the world’s largest belting company, with the ability to offer the overall market in Asia an unmatched combination of both power transmission and conveyor belts. Our physical presence in the region is extensive, with sales and service centers in China, India, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and South Korea.
Stefan Praller, head of marketing
- We will be present with our booth at the German Pavilion this year. Our area sales manager and our Chinese partner will attend Bakery China. Bakery China is an important event for us.
- China is a strategically important market for us, where we see further growth potential for the future. But not only China; also many other countries in the Asian area offer a promising prospect. That’s why we will also attend other exhibitions in Asia this year.
Jean-Philippe Poulin, president for Lesaffre Greater China (left)
Joergen Lundgaard, managing director for Lesaffre Asia-Pacific (right)
- Lesaffre will be featuring solutions to help industrial, craft and retail bakeries create their signature notes in breads. One of our main highlights is Lesaffre Taste Solution, covering a series of new products from sourdough, blend and premixes to yeast extracts. We are also organizing the Louis-Lesaffre Cup China National Selection finale, as a commitment to develop and celebrate baking talents in the country.
- Lesaffre is established in Asia with main regional offices in Singapore and China to service the entire Asia-pacific region. In Lesaffre China, we have a robust product portfolio to help bakers in various bakery products from traditional European breads to local Chinese steamed buns. “In the retail bakery market in China, SAF-INSTANT® is commanding the leading position of premium yeast brands.” (Jean-Philippe Poulin) Lesaffre fully understands the need of being locally and culturally responsive. That is also why we establish local Baking Centers™ to help local industrial, craft and retail bakers formulate creative recipes, help with various troubleshooting and advise possible solutions to improve the efficiencies of their baking processes.
- Passion for advanced technology has been the brand essence of WP BAKERYGROUP for 140 years. This is exemplarily reflected in the focus topics of the anniversary year: intelligent mixing, gentle production from the dough strip, efficient production of classic small baked goods, fast lye application and technology for the very best baking quality, as the well-proven WP ovens, WP MATADOR and ROTOTHERM. WP will present current examples from its wide range of products, used by artisan businesses up to industrial bakeries to produce outstanding baked goods.
- Last year, Bakery China was very successful for WP and we are glad to be in this market. Our customers in China know the importance of this show and visit this exhibition each time.
You can read an exclusive interview with Mr. Zhu Nianlin, president of China Association of Bakery and Confectionery Industry here: The Land Of Opportunity: Bakery China Bolsters Market Growth