Mondelēz International announces that it will participate in the 2019 AIPIA Summit Americas Challenge looking to explore opportunities to incorporate Active and Intelligent packaging technologies across its portfolio of brands.
The company has announced a strategic plan on building positive impact for people and planet called Impact For Growth and now invites active and intelligent packaging developers to propose solutions that can help them deliver on the company mission. About 85% of their annual revenue is generated in the snacks categories, and nearly three-quarters of sales come from outside of North America.
Mondelēz International says that there are developing packaging technologies in the digital realm that can help them deliver on their mission. For the purpose of this brief, the company has selected two of the impact areas in which it believes active and intelligent packaging can increase engagement and connectivity with consumers through the packaging. The company says it would like to explore the possibility of using Active and Intelligent packaging in their portfolio in the following areas:
- Technologies that would allow them to demonstrate the authenticity and safety of their products through tamper evidence.
- Packaging features that can act as a PIF (packaging integrity feature).
- Technologies that ensure the inner or primary package and contents match the outer or secondary package.
Mondelēz International has announced packaging sustainability goals of making 100% of their packaging recyclable by 2025 and to provide recycling information in markets around the world by 2025.
- What technologies/communication channels can help consumers better understand how to recycle their products.
- What connected platforms can be used to incentivize consumers to recycle.
- And if there are technologies/infrastructure that allows for better sorting at MRF’s (Material Recovery Facilities) and can help drive up recycling rates for packaging.